Nielsen recently issued a report called State of the Media: The Social Media Report detailing the current social media landscape and audiences in the U.S. and other major markets.
The key findings from the report are:
– Social networks and blogs continue to dominate Americans’ time online, now accounting for nearly a quarter of total time spent on the internet.
– Social media has grown rapidly – today nearly 4 in 5 active internet users visit social networks and blogs.
– Americans spend more time on Facebook than they do on any other U.S. website.
– Close to 40% of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone.
– Social networking apps are the third most-used among U.S. smartphone owners.
– Internet users over the age of 55 are driving the growth of social networking through the mobile internet.
– Although a larger number of women view online video on social networks and blogs, men are the heaviest online video users overall streaming more videos and watching them longer.
– 70% of active online adult social networkers shop online, 12% more likely than the average adult internet user.
– 53% of active adult social networkers follow a brand, while 32% follow a celebrity.
– Across a snapshot of 10 major global markets, social networks and blogs reach over three-quarters of active internet users.
– Tumblr is an emerging player in social media, nearly tripling its audience.